Do you have rights that protect you from debt collectors?
Yes! Debt collectors are famous for making absurd threats and engaging in the use of illegal tactics to get you to pay them. That’s why the United States Congress enacted the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (“FDCPA”); to provide You, the consumer, with specific protections and consumer rights. In fact, the FDCPA places comprehensive regulations upon the debt collection industry to ensure that they play fair in collecting debts. Unfortunately, despite this comprehensive piece of legislation, debt collectors continue violating the law in the hopes that the consumer doesn’t know the law. We are here to change that.
Have you been a victim of debt collector harassment?
There are many types of illegal activities that debt collectors engage in that violate Your rights. Review this list to see whether your rights may have been violated.
Has a debt collector done any of the following to You:
- Continued to collect on a paid debt?
- Sought a greater amount than owed by the debt?
- Tacked on extra collection fees?
- Called other people to discuss your debt?
- Threatened to garnish your wages or put you in prison?
- Reported false information to your credit report?
- Collected a debt discharged in bankruptcy?
- Sent threatening letters?
- Called you an unreasonable number of times?
- Collected against you for a debt incurred while you were a minor?
What should you do?
You should pursue the debt collectors for violating your rights. By law you are entitled to up to $1,000 in statutory damages plus actual damages. Further, you will NOT be charged any legal fees. The law provides that the debt collector will have to pay your lawyer for you! Call us today for a free consultation.